Financial Coaching Training
Momentum’s Financial Coaching Training provides the tools and training required to elevate and support your financial coaching practice.
This is an intermediate level training focused on financial coaching foundations. This training is designed to help professionals who already have a foundation in Financial Literacy, but want to expand their skills and knowledge to support individuals one on one. The training provides the theoretical and practical knowledge to coach participants to take control of their finances.
This curriculum has been designed for use by staff of non-profit community-based agencies who work with people in or at risk of poverty.
What you will learn in this training:
- Identify the approach needed based on participant needs.
- Consider and apply aspects of the coaching partnership in their practice.
- Summarize skills and knowledge necessary to foster an effective financial coaching partnership.
- Utilize the path to goal achievement within their practice.
- Nurture coaching skills to facilitate the process of self-reflection.
Module 1: Financial Coaching
- Differentiate between the five approaches.
- Identify the goals of financial coaching.
- List the responsibility of a financial coach.
Module 2: The Coaching Partnership
- List 5 ways to foster rapport.
- Consider the coaching partnership from the participant’s perspective.
- Consider the coaching partnership from the coach’s perspective.
- Explain the A|4 coaching approach.
- List best practices for financial coaching.
Module 3: Facilitating the design of a participant lead financial plan
- Gather information relevant to the coaching partnership.
- Utilize the SMART goal setting process to facilitate the development of a participant lead financial goal.
- Facilitate the plan creation process
- Evaluate the plan in relation to the participant’s needs and strengths.
- Celebrate achievements together.
Module 4: Fostering Coaching Skills
- Investigate the ability of actively listen.
- Explore the communication process.
- Investigate what we say with our words and our body.
- Examine the role of powerful questions within the coaching relationship.
- Discuss the importance of ongoing learning as a financial coach.
View the course agenda.
- Course Prerequisite: Completion of Momentum’s or Prosper Canada’s Financial Literacy Training Program.
- Pre-Workshop Learning Materials: Course material that will be available 2 weeks before the training, between training days, and post training to enhance the learner’s experience. The Learning enhancers will be presented in 3 categories; Must Do, Nice to Do, and Want More.
- Duration & Mode of Delivery: In person 2-day training
- Cost: $120/staff person
- About the Instructor: Sherry Kwok is an Accredited Financial Counselor of Canada (AFCC), and has 2 bachelor’s degrees; Psychology and Education. She is experienced in facilitating the Financial Literacy Core Curriculum as well as working with participants individually.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it is. Participants who complete the full training is eligible for 12 continuing education credits. Please note, online training are not currently eligible for continuing education credits.
Cancellation must be received within 10 business days prior to course start for a full refund.
- Operation System: Window XP or higher, MacOS X with macOS 10.9 or later, Windows 10 or later, iOS and Android
- Internet Browser: Internet Explore 11+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+, Safari 7+
- Broadband Internet connection: broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE).
- Speakers and a microphone – build-in, USB plug-in, or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam – built-in, USB plug-in
Please contact Liz Wong at 587-437-3364 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss special needs accommodation necessary.
Want to learn more?
Contact email@example.com or call 587-437-3364. Fill out the form below to have someone contact you.