Self Employment Program
The Self Employment Program is a six month day-time program. Participants of the Self Employment Program will receive both classroom instruction and individual business coaching.
In this program, you will spend 10 weeks in a classroom environment learning about and writing a comprehensive business plan. During the remaining 16 weeks you will be in class one morning per week, while devoting your time to implementing your business plan. For 25 weeks you will received one-on-one business coaching once a week.
TimesWeekdays from 9am – 3:30pm –
Days vary throughout the program
It is expected that participants have 100% attendance for both classroom and business coaching components, with absences allowable only under special circumstances. There will be a need for participants to work on their business plans outside of class time. They can reasonably expect the program commitment to be 30-50 hours per week. If the day time program hours do not work for you, consider applying for the evening program.
Business Coaching is designed to support participants with individual needs that may not be covered in class or are more difficult to address in the classroom setting. This one-on-one relationship provides an amazing opportunity for participants to receive tailored feedback and support throughout their start-up process.
Learn the skills
- Write a comprehensive business plan, including a marketing plan
- Research your industry, competitors, and customers
- Understand licensing, permits and registration
- Understand insurance, taxation and other operational topics
- Build a financial model for revenue (sales) and cash flow forecasts
- Start, manage and operate your business
- Develop marketing and sales skills
- Weekly one-on-one business coaching
Do you qualify?
- You are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- You are unemployed, have an existing EI claim, or are working less than 20 hours a week
- You are low income or seeking financial independence
- You have a realistic business idea, and are ready to start your business while in the program
- Successful participants are coachable, committed, and willing to hold themselves accountable
Let’s talk about your business idea! If you would like to apply for the Self Employment Program please call 403-204-2657 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if this program is best for you.
You may also attend one of our free Discover Self Employment information sessions to learn more about our business programs and fill in an application. Upcoming dates for the Discover Self Employment program may be found through the program calendar, below.