The following is a post by guest blogger Dean Estrella, Momentum Financial Literacy Facilitator.
Think about the phrase “home ownership” and how it makes you feel. Go on, take a minute to reflect on this. For so many, home ownership maybe a distant dream, but for the past 14 years Momentum and the Owen Hart Foundation have been helping to make it a reality.
Recently, Momentum held its annual Words of Wisdom event for the Owen Hart Home Owners Program to celebrate these dreams of past and present participants. This program is a matched-savings program that allows participants living on low incomes to achieve home ownership through:
- financial literacy and home buyers’ education,
- diligent savings,
- matched savings contributed by Momentum, and
- the participation and support of peers in the same boat.
The recent event exemplified the power of comradery and acted as an inspiration to current participants who have yet to purchase their homes.
Momentum Staff, Martha Hart and family, and Owen Hart Home Owners celebrated the journey of home ownership at this year’s annual Words of Wisdom event, on April 22, 2015.
Some highlights of the evening include:
- Dr. Martha Hart speaking and showing a private screening of her award winning documentary based on the tragic death of her husband, wrestler Owen Hart, and how the Owen Hart Foundation came to life to support Calgarians with limited resources and unlimited potential.
- A panel of three past program participants who purchased their homes in 2006, 2009 and 2014. Each shared their own personal journey into home ownership, including all of the challenges and triumphs along the way.
- An inspirational roundtable discussion of people sharing their fears and words of encouragement to those who will be taking the plunge to buy their home in the coming months
The evening brought together program staff, volunteers, financial partners, nine past graduates who have already purchased homes, and 11 “Home Owners To Be.” The past graduates, dating as far back as 2003, were happy to re-connect with Momentum and to share their experiences with the enthusiastic yet anxious home owners to be.
Since 2001, Momentum has been proud to support 127 participants in their purchase of a home through our matched-savings programs. Seventy-nine of whom have been through the Owen Hart Home Owners program.
To learn more about Momentum’s matched-savings program register for the Steps 2 Savings orientation.