When Sola Sierra, her husband, and their baby arrived in Canada in 2003, they had dreams but no plan. They came to get a western education, but without guidance about life here, they soon made a lot of mistakes. When her husband returned to Nigeria, Sola was left with lots of debt, no assets, and a job that barely paid the bills. She filed first for divorce, then for bankruptcy. And she began to look for ways to improve her life. Momentum’s matched-savings programs—first Fair Gains, and then the Owen Hart Home Owners program—taught her to plan and to stick to her plan, and allowed her to build the assets that bring her dreams to reality.
- The ability to set clear priorities, and incredible determination
- Growing confidence, pride, and belief in herself
- Her daughter’s love for Sola, and Sola’s love for her daughter
- A wealth of knowledge about financial literacy, and the skill to teach it
- Dedicated, supportive, and perceptive staff
- The investment of the matched-savings programs’ funders and donors
Begin with the dream of a better life. Include the persistence and drive that come with such a dream. Add Financial Literacy programs honed by years of experience, and staffed by people who can see the strength in participants even when they can’t see it themselves. Blend in terrific volunteer guest speakers, and connections with realtors and mortgage brokers. Allow the ingredients to work together for as long as it takes. And then unveil a proud new homeowner, who is focused on her next dream of becoming a social worker and whose daughter happily brings friends to their new home.
- 4 cups of parboiled rice
- 1 can of diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 cubes of bouillon
- 1 litre of chicken or beef broth
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- Blend the diced tomatoes, habanero, onions and bell pepper together until they form a smooth paste.
- In a pot, add the canola oil and put on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the blended tomato paste and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, bouillon, curry and thyme into the tomato mixture and cook for another 5 minutes while stirring.
- Add broth to the pot and tomato paste and stir.
- Wash the parboiled rice and add to the pot and cover. Keep stove on medium heat. Cook for about 15 minutes. Once the excess broth is absorbed, the rice is ready.