< Back to Blog

Fit for Less, LITERALLY!

If you’re trying to get more fit or even aiming for that “beach body.” Here are a few ideas to help you save money and become the best you. A lot of this advice can be applied to anything you’re trying to save for or cut back on.
Need Vs. Wants
The need is good health, but being healthy and fit can be met in many different ways. There’s jogging, calisthenics (body weight exercises), or even yoga. So think outside of the gym membership! To be clear on if something is a need, just ask yourself a few of these big questions. “Can I live without this? Is this an important priority?” If your answer is yes to the first and no to the second, then my friend, that’s a “want” not a “need” which means there’s a good chance you can cut back on that expense.
One of the key things that will make a difference in your ability to save is knowing the difference between needs and wants. A lot of the time, it is easy to confuse the two because we’re all very good at creating reasons why something is a need when really it’s a “want” in disguise.
Desire or Motivation for the Want
Why do you go to the gym? People go to the gym for different reasons, aside from fitness, maybe they go there to socialize with friends, or they’re going because they want to get out of the house. Whatever the reason is, if you know what the motive is, you can find a way to cut back on your costs and still be able to meet that underlying want. For example, if I know I go to the gym because I also want to get out of the house, maybe I’ll just go to a playground and run laps and do pulls up and chin ups.
When you know that the item or service you’re buying is a want, it’s important to become aware of your motive or what you’re trying to achieve by having this want and then looking for cheaper alternatives.
New Habits
Unfortunately, six pack abs don’t happen overnight and neither do good savings habits!
Apply the 80/20 rule to new habits. A flat stomach or well-chiseled mid-section is the result of 80% diet and 20% fitness regime. With savings, 20 % of whatever you receive in after-tax dollars (net income) should go towards your financial plan like savings, investments and life insurance with the other 80% used for bills and living expenses.
After developing awareness about your wants and the motivations for them, it’s time to start building some new habits. Don’t be discouraged if you find after a week or two you go back to your old ways. Just go back and try to implement the new activities or plans again. Habits can take months to form, but once they’re in place you’re set for success, whether that’s better health, healthier body image, or even more savings. The most important thing to remember is that when you don’t give up, even if you go off track, you’re not starting over from scratch.
The foundations of savings or cutbacks can be summed up as, knowing the differences between needs and wants, knowing what your motivators are, and creating new habits.
Cheers to your health and your wallet!
If you’re hardcore into fitness and have an interest in calisthenics, check out “AthleanX” on youtube.com they have both a male and a female version of exercise sets. Also the 80/20 rule is an ideal to strive for, if you can’t save 20% right now try with 5% first.

Share:
Categorized in