Self Employment Program
You are ready to make a full, daytime commitment to writing a business plan and turning your passion into a business as your primary source of income. This 6-month program is for participants who are unemployed, and either Canadian citizens or permanent residents. You will receive training in a classroom and business coaching.
You may currently be receiving Employment Insurance or Income Support. A current Employment Insurance claim may cover all or part of the Program period, and you may be eligible for Alberta Learner Income Support during the Program.
Learn the skills
- Research the industry and competitor market
- Write a business plan, including a marketing plan
- Understand licensing, permits and registration
- Understand insurance, taxation and legal issues
- Develop cashflow forecasts and financial statements
- Start, manage and operate your business
- Develop selling skills
Do you qualify?
- You are unemployed or working less than 20 hours a week
- You have a realistic business idea
- You face a barrier to traditional employment, such as language, age, culture, education, employability or a disability
Sessions start in spring (usually March) and fall (usually late September or early October).
To apply for this program, you must first attend Momentum’s free Exploring Entrepreneurship orientation session, a 3 hour introductory workshop. Class size is limited to 15 people and the programs fill up fast! For more information or to sign up for the orientation, call us at 403.204.2657.
Once you have attended the orientation, you can fill out an application form for the Self Employment Program. If you qualify, you will be invited in for an interview.
Already completed the orientation? Fill out the form below: