Spring is finally here! The warm sun is shining and welcoming a new chapter in your life. What better way to celebrate than to purge yourself of all your unused items!
I’m a big fan of garage sales. Did you know that, by some estimates, such informal markets contribute as much as 36 billion dollars to the Canadian economy? Garage sales can also be a great way to connect with your neighbours and your community.
But here’s the thing about garage sales – people will haggle and you won’t always get what you’re expecting. It’s important to be realistic about what things are worth. The whole point of a garage sale is to get rid of unused items and find a new home for them.
If you opt to go the garage sale route, here are some more tips for success with your sale!
- For pricing your items try Kijiji.ca, UsedCalgary.com, and Buysellcommunity.com to check out the goings rates for used items.
- Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays are the most popular days of the week to schedule garage sales. Long weekends might be hit and miss since many people tend to go away.
- Check out permits. The City of Calgary has the information about the signage rules.
- Place your ad in one or more of the above websites. Also, gsalr.ca is a garage sale website in Calgary. It shows a map where garage sales are held.
- Use clear lettering on your signs! Make sure the letters are big enough for people to read from a distance. Here is a link on how to make a GOOD sign: http://www.bestgaragesaletips.com/best-garage-sale-sign-tips.html
- Sort your items. Organize, organize, and organize!
- Come equipped with a cash float to make change. If you can’t make change, you might miss out on a sale!
- Collect bags in advance for your buyers, since most often people do not bring bags for garage sale. Make it easy for people to shop more!
- Find your friends and neighbours to help out! It’s a good idea to work with others on a multi-family garage sale. This makes a garage sale a community gathering opportunity.
Yard Sale Tips & Tricks: http://backtoherroots.com/2015/05/17/yard-sale-tips/
How to Have a Yard Sale: https://household-tips.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/06/how_to_have_a_yard_sale_tips
If you are difficulty letting things go, check out The Joy of Less: A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine Jay. This book takes you through how to make minimalist decisions step-by-step.
I hope you have got some idea from this. Start looking though your home to find items that you can do without to make a space for your life. Try to make it fun and exciting, and you will see that letting go is not that difficult.